Inventory of the Laing School Records, 1883 - 1990

Magnifying Glass What is this document?

Descriptive Summary

Abstract: Laing School was founded January 29, 1866 by Cornelia Hancock (1839-1926), under the auspices of the Friends Association for the Aid and Elevation of the Freedmen of Philadelphia. The school began with 50 African American students in the damaged remains of the Mount Pleasant Presbyterian church in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. At different times, Laing served as an industrial school, a high school, middle school, and elementary school. In the early 1970s, the Charleston school system desegregated, the Moultrie School District was established and in 1975, Laing became a Middle school.
The collection relates to the history of the Laing School. Included are histories of the school, ephemera such as commencement programs, copies of photographs of the school and its pupils, school publications such as annuals and newsletters, and other printed material relating to the school.
Title: Laing School Records, 1883 - 1990
Creator: Laing School.
Repository: Avery Research Center at the College of Charleston
Call Number: AMN 1059
Language of Material: Material in English
Extent: .5 linear feet
(1 archival box)

Historical Note

Laing School was founded January 29, 1866 by Cornelia Hancock (1839-1926), civilian Civil War nurse, author, teacher and Quaker, under the auspices of the Friends Association for the Aid and Elevation of the Freedmen of Philadelphia. It was named after Henry M. Laing, treasurer of the Friends Association and long-time supporter of the school. The school was started with 50 African American students in the damaged remains of the Mount Pleasant Presbyterian church in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. In 1897 it was moved to a larger building in Mount Pleasant to accommodate an increase in the student population. In 1953, it was moved to Highway 17 North. At different times, Laing served as an industrial school, a high school, middle school, and elementary school. In the early 1970s, the Charleston school system desegregated, the Moultrie School District was established and in 1975, Laing became a Middle school.


Collection Overview

The collection, compiled from a variety of donors, is organized in one series which relates to the history of Laing School. Included are histories of the school, ephemera such as commencement programs, copies of photographs of the school and its pupils, school publications such as annuals and newsletters, and other printed material relating to the school.

Collection Arrangement

1. Laing School Papers



Subject Headings

  • African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina -- Mount Pleasant.
  • Friends' Association of Philadelphia for the Aid and Elevation of the Freedmen.
  • Hancock, Cornelia, 1840-1927.
  • Laing School (Mount Pleasant, S.C.) -- History.


Detailed Description of the Collection

1. Laing School Papers, 1883-1990 .

Box 1   Folder 1
Laing School History, 1883-1986
Includes newspaper clippings, publication excerpts, and a student paper, including info related to the damage to the school as a result of the 1886 earthquake and 1885 tornado.
Box 1   Folder 2
Moultrie School Newspaper The Sentinel, 1972
Contains article regarding Laing.
Box 1   Folder 3
Laing Oral History Project: Oral History Data Sheets, 1987
Lists interviewees (Miriam Brown, Reverend Louis Johnson, Emily Ladson, and Hermine Stanyard) and interview-related info.
Box 1   Folder 4
Appreciation Banquet Programs, 1985, 1988 and 1990
Hosted by Laing for its teachers and alumni.
Box 1   Folder 5
Laing School Commencement Invitations and Programs, 1945- 1946 and 1951
Includes 1946 address by John Potts.
Box 1   Folder 6
School Publication: Laing Spectator, 1951-1954
Box 1   Folder 7
60th and 100th Year Anniversary Publications, 1926 and 1966
Box 1   Folder 8
Laing School Yearbook The Wolverine, 1956
Box 1   Folder 9
Laing School Yearbook The Wolverine, 1958
Box 1   Folder 10
Laing Student Jerodine Ellis School Record, 1941-1945
Copy includes subjects taken, grades received, and filled-out college entrance certificate.
Box 1   Folder 11-13
Pennsylvania Abolition Society: Correspondence, circa 1898-1931
Regarding Laing. Includes microfilm (reels 14, 15 and 18) print outs from the Historical Society of Pennsylvania with microfilm content description. From the Pennsylvania Abolition Society collection.
Box 1   Folder 14-16
Photographs
Photocopies included the buildings, administrators, pupils, and teachers.


Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright Notice

The nature of the Avery Research Center's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Avery Research Center claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Laing School Records, Avery Research Center, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, USA.

Processing Information

Processed by Jessica Lancia, April 2008

Encoded by Melissa Bronheim, August 2010

Funding from the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation supported the processing of this collection.

Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the collection processing and encoding of this finding aid.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-