Inventory of the Shaw School Collection, 1876 - 1990
|Abstract:||The Shaw Memorial School, named after Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, opened its doors to African American youth in 1865. In 1884, the Shaw School was transferred to the Charleston City school board, and the property has since served various educational and community purposes.|
|This collection contains attendance certificates of former Shaw School students, 1882-1889; correspondence about the fate of the property in the late 20th century; and photocopies of newspaper clippings. Clippings discuss the use of the building for tornado refugees in 1938 and its designation on the National Historic Register.|
|Title:||Shaw School Collection, 1876 - 1990|
|Repository:||Avery Research Center at the College of Charleston|
|Call Number:||AMN 9002v|
|Language of Material:||Material in English|
|Extent:||0.1 linear feet
The Shaw Memorial School is named after Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, commander of the Fifty-Fourth Massachusetts Regiment of black troops during the Civil War. Upon his death at Fort Wagener near Charleston harbor, Shaw's friends and family raised funds to construct a school. With additional funds from the New England Freedman's Aid Society and other Northern philanthropists, the Shaw Memorial School opened its doors in 1865. The students were predominantly black, and classes were taught largely by Northern missionaries.
When the New England Freedman's Aid Society dissolved in 1874, the Charleston board of school commissioners agreed to oversee the school for a period of 10 years, under the provision that the schoolhouse would be maintained for children of color and that only black teachers were to be used. After a satisfactory ten-year period, the school's property was transferred to the Charleston city school board in 1884, and the school continued to run a curriculum for students aged six to fifteen.
In 1938, the Shaw Memorial School ceased to be an education institution. The building, located at 22 Mary Street, served a number of other purposes during the 20th century and was placed on the National Register in 1973.
The original building has since been demolished and replaced by a Boys and Girls Club of America.
This collection contains attendance certificates of former Shaw School students, 1882-1889, as well as clippings and correspondence relating to the property after it ceased to hold classes, 1938-1990.
1. Attendance Certificates, Clippings, and Correspondence
- African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina -- Charleston.
- African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina -- History -- 19th century.
- Natural disasters -- South Carolina -- Charleston.
- School attendance -- South Carolina -- History -- 19th century.
- Shaw School (Charleston, S.C.).
Detailed Description of the Collection
1. Attendance Certificates, Clippings, and Correspondence, 1882-1990.
The nature of the Avery Research Center's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Avery Research Center claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
[Identification of item], Shaw School Collection, Avery Research Center, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, USA.
Processed by Jessica Farrell, January 2010
Encoded by Jessica Farrell, May 2010
Edited by Amanda Ross, May 2010
Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the collection processing and encoding of this finding aid.