*Please note the Avery Research Center will be closed to the public February 1-October 15, 2017 for renovations. See announcement for details*
The Avery Research Center maintains several galleries and public program spaces. Each year, the Avery Research Center develops exhibitions from its rich archival, art, and rare manuscript collections and hosts temporary art exhibitions featuring prominent and burgeoning artists from South Carolina and throughout the African diaspora whose work supports the Center’s mission.
Temporary exhibits are housed in the Changing Gallery, the Benjamin and Jeannette Cox Gallery, and the McKinley Washington Auditorium.
The Changing Gallery houses exhibits produced and developed at the Avery Research Center from existing collections.
The Benjamin F. Cox and Jeannette K. Cox Exhibition Gallery is named in honor of Avery Normal Institute principal Benjamin Cox and his wife. Cox served from 1915 to 1936. This space was made possible by donations from their son and philanthropist, Dr. Wendell Cox of Detroit.
The Avery Room houses the permanent Avery Normal Institute exhibit. This recreated 19th century social studies classroom serves as a memorial to the Avery Normal Institute in observance of the enormous impact the school had on the education and the development of black leadership in the Charleston community, state, and nation.