The Avery Research Center invites scholars, students, and the general public to access the center’s archives and to tour the historical site – the former Avery Normal School founded in 1865. The Center offers public and group tours daily. Guided tour cover the history of the Avery Normal School, the establishment of the Avery Research Center, and the history and culture of African Americans in the Lowcountry region. The tours are structured to appeal to a broad audience.
We are located at 125 Bull Street. All visitors must sign in at the reception desk located at the parking lot entrance. Tours begin in the SMART classroom.
Admission is free for the exhibitions at the Avery Research Center; however, donations are welcomed. For bookings and additional guidelines, contact Curtis Franks at 843-953-7610.